Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Memoir

“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” is a phrase most people have heard but not everyone has experienced. Without a doubt, there must have been a time where most of us have judged someone before getting to know them. For the most part when we judge someone else we tend to let it go and move on. However, being on the other side of the spectrum seems to create more of a lasting impact. Unfortunately I am not able to say I have never been judged because I have.
            I remember coming out from middle school on a hot day and I was thirsty. Being aware of the long walk to home I had ahead of me, I decided to buy a drink and a snack. For some reason, that day, I decided to take a different route home. I found a liquor store about three blocks into my walk and I went in. As soon as I walked in a tall Chinese man approached me. “Take off your backpack and leave it on the floor,” was his order. I was completely confused but nevertheless obliged to his demand. I took my backpack off and left it by the entrance. 
            I had never been in this liquor store before so I took a couple of seconds to locate the snacks and spot the drinks. I approached the snack first and immediately noticed the Chinese man follow me to the aisle. I ignored it at first, but I was undoubtedly bothered. I didn’t even grab a snack before proceeding to the drinks section. Again, the Chinese man followed me to the aisle I was in. He was never more than a couple feet behind. I had never experienced something like this and my immediate emotion was anger. I was so angry I walked out of the liquor store without buying anything. I couldn’t believe the man could suspect me of stealing. Never in my life would I commit something like that. Besides, the guy didn’t even know who I was. He just assumed I walked in with the intention to rob his store. He judged me and my actions the moment I set foot in his store. It has been an event I have never placed out of my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment